Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Single One

I dreamt that I blogged about disliking being the single friend. And then I realized that I hadn’t blogged in a while and my dreams may be telling me about my secret desire to rant about this situation.

It’s more of a dislike then a hatred and a reason to stress myself out. But in recent conversations with the girls, I feel left out. They are my friends since grade nine and earlier so we will always have stuff to talk about, but now more then ever, the discussions are about the men in their lives. M has N, J has R and M has S. I’m always just listening to the problems, the laughs and the stories of sex. I can’t relate and it leaves me desiring a companion. I will express my desire for a companion, but want to stress that it is more so a desire rather then a need. I like being single; it’s cheaper this way and I’m not accountable to anyone.

I do however feel, that even though I’m the single one, I’m the favourite friend from most of the boyfriends. It makes me feel cool, and being the wretched third wheel isn’t that bad when the guy is excited to see me.

However, I am the single one, and at times it’s great. (More about that in a future blog).

2 Comments:

Blogger GALA said...

Honey, give it a few years. I went on vacation with my paired off friends and got to hear tales of: 1) he met this woman, he blatantly flirted with for months and he was constantly seeing her at work and there was this BUSINESS trip they went on and omigod what if something happened? Why isn't he as into me right now? and 2) I love my husband and he is great but once or twice a year he stays out all night, doesn't answer his phone, and gets stinking drunk. I know he's got a stressful job but come on people!

Couplehood and marriage is HARD. Sometimes I wonder if I'm really up for it in the long run. Maybe you understand this? It sounds like you do.

6:45 p.m.  
Blogger GALA said...

Oh yeah, and it is great to be that favorite single girlfriend that the husbands dig. I think they see us as what their wives would be like, if their wives were single. That's probably some of it at least. My friends' husbands are awesome in my opinion- it's nice to have a man's perspective with things so they are handy with that as well!

7:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home