Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Dilemma

When I was younger and still living at home, I’d get bored frequently. We lived in the country outside of a small town. There was 11 houses in a row surrounded by fields of corn, soy bean, and sometimes wheat, depending on the rotation. Kelly lived next door, Marianne two doors down and Amanda 5 houses away. I’m not sure how often I got together with the neighbours, but for some reason I remember being bored.

“I’m bored” I’d say after hours sitting in my room and not being able to take it anymore. I thought that mom would have some ideas or take me someplace away from home. But to my recollection she merely acknowledged my complaint and probably just waved her hand gesturing to find my own activities to do. In times like this I probably joined a sibling with one of their activities, went for a bike ride, gone to see one of the neighbour girls, or sat around for longer driving myself to insanity.

And now years later, I’m bored again, or maybe rather still. High school and University have come and gone and in those years I spent a great deal of time submersed in schoolwork and enjoying my social life. I didn’t really get involved in activities for a few reasons. A, I didn’t know what I wanted to do; B, I was too shy to get involved, and C, I wasn’t brought up with the desire to be involved.

So now, I’m done school and lack a social life. What do I do to fill the hours of the day where I want away from the computer and the one bedroom apartment that I have been living in for the past 15 days?

-I’ve wanted to join a gym but don’t want to go in there alone and I don’t want to be persuaded into something I don’t want to buy (yeah like a expensive membership).
-I’ve thought about doing a class of some sort but a, I’m shy; and b, I’m not set in staying here that long and wouldn’t want to get involved in something when a job may take me elsewhere.
-I’ve done several trips to the mall and have actually done the movie theatre alone. It wasn’t that awkward but for some reason I always feared it may be. But to continue with mall trips and watching, I need more money.
So I’m listening. What do I do to occupy my mind? Taking suggestions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home