Saturday, June 24, 2006

Pictures

What do you do with pictures of your ex? It’s not like you look at your pictures everyday. I mean, you put the framed ones and the gifts he gave you in a box because the constant reminder hurts. But pictures are pictures; they are the things you don’t often get rid of.

I was just looking through my photos searching for pictures to display on my wall and I came across some of him. My favourite picture of us appeared first. I stared at it for a while and the memory of that morning came to me. I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and hair when he walked in and asked me if he looked okay. Normally he was too vain (as the ladder pictures imply) but he looked good, really good and shockingly I admitted it.

But the next few pictures are just of him and I don’t need them anymore. Do I mail them to him, for some reason people like giving other people pictures of themselves so if I’m about to throw them out, would it be wrong to mail them to him? I’d kinda be offended if he mailed me pictures of me. Like “oh, you don’t want pictures of me anymore? I’m not good enough for your picture collection?” But he asked me to take the photos of him, he’s posing in 6 of 7 photos of him and if I’d put that much pride in a picture I’d want it.

I understand more now why I didn’t like seeing pictures of his ex’s. I didn’t look at these with desire and regret for ending it, but memories of once was fluttered through my mind and thoughts of him came back with a vengeance. The picture is of us at dinner the first time he met my friends. We had wings.

I don't want his memory gone, it's just weird to see the pictures.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Omigosh, I found old pics on my hardrive of my exes. What a downer that was. Every nasty thing he said to me and every injustice came flooding back. I don't want to look at them, but I don't want to get rid of them either.

It is a conundrum.

4:28 p.m.  
Blogger GALA said...

From a feng shui perspective, you have to let go of the old to attract something new in your life. I'd encourage you to throw them away. Chances are he doesn't want the pictures, and it sounds like you don't need to be contacting him if you mailed them to him.
I have an ex-friend and an ex-boyfriend who were all over my photo albums. Before I moved this spring, I threw out a ton of old pictures, and many were of these two people. I don't miss them and recognize that my life is better without them. So why keep the reminder around?
Out with the old, in with the new. If you wanted advice, there it is.
If you can't get rid of them now, put them in a box (or your computer's recycle bin) and set it aside. If you don't feel the urge to look at them after a month or two, then throw them out.

10:16 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home