Friday, June 09, 2006

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good: Phase two of my quilting process is now complete. It took much longer then expected. I thought if I sew it together one way it’d take 6 weeks max. However, I’ve been in phase two of my three phase quilt since March 24 and phase two has seen a lot of upsets, a lot of happy smiles from the progress and has been put on the shelf for a few months as I thought that the only person in the world who could fix my problem was my mom. Alas, I was the one who fixed it and am excited about phase three. But this is all boring for you so I’ll move on and just clarify that my point was that I am done the top layer of my quilt. Applause please.

The Bad: I realize that I bought way more forest green then I needed. I still need to buy more blue but I’m not ever trusting the book about how much fabric to buy again. I have an excess of green, blue and yellow that I’ll probably never need. I have so much green that I will be using it in my next quilt. Yes I said that right, I’m planning my next quilt already due to the fact I have sooo much green. And the blue I can use a bit later with the finishing touches, but the yellow unfortunately not. So the bad is that I have too much fabric and I have to plan a new quilting project to use it up.

The Ugly: I’m not calling my quilt ugly at all. What is ugly is that I messed up the placement of two rows of patches so instead of the yellow squares pointing one way, they point one way for four rows but then they point the opposite way for the next two rows. And now I’ve sewed the three borders on and taking it apart now would be very critical to my quilt making ability, knowing that my quilt was done and I was stupid enough to have to take it apart after all that work. So I’m leaving it that way. It’s not bad but it looks unintentional and it’s very noticeable. But it’s my first quilt so I shouldn’t beat myself up about it’s flaws.

It’s done though, the sewing machine part is done and now when I can afford the baton I will begin the actual quilting part. The weight lifted is unbelievable.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I knit and crochet. I like keeping my hands busy. I suspect you're the same way!

3:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home