Friday, May 26, 2006

name

“When I saw your name, Martha, I pictured you as a 72 year old lady.”

I smirk. What else do I say to a girl who’s just insulted my name? I agree with her, my name is an old lady’s name, but to hear her comment on my name took me aback. I feel that a name is a personal thing. What if I do like my name, and then she said that, I’d have been really insulted. I’m sure by now you all know I dislike my name and for the reason that she noted but I only hate it more with comments like that.

But I smirked hiding the fact I was offended by her comment. I told her the story about the little girl named Martha on the Martha Stewart show and she agreed with me that the child will hate her name because of the association with Martha Stewart as soon as she is fully aware who she is compared to: old domestic women.

This girls name is Melissa. After discussing my name she noted that her name also is an older sounding name. I think I glared at her with a sarcastic/“don’t even go there” kind of look and she soon retracted her comment. There is nothing wrong with a name like Melissa. It’s common, but it’s a name that suits anyone at any age. I think that many people dislike their name. In the same way few people are content with their body, I think few people are content with their name. At least you’re not mistaken for a 72 year old.

As she was filling out the paper work she needed to know my middle name. She looked up at me from her computer screen almost horrified that since my mom gave me one old sounded name that she must also have given me a second old sounding name. When I said, “no, no, it’s Elaine” she signed with a sigh of relief.

Give me a break, I thought. I’ll be the one to make fun of and to be disappointed with my name.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Hey, you obviously have a better job than her!

8:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home