Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A or B?

I lost the race. At Christmas my two older sisters and I had a bet going to see who would be employed first. K recently got her PhD in something relating to Hospital administration and J recently came here from England where she spent the past 10 years working in training and management in different restaurant chains and me, well you all may know, I just graduated from university with my bachelor of Environmental Studies.

I forget how long K was looking for, but shortly after Christmas she won the race. Her self-proclaimed job searching techniques paid off and her “I’m in between jobs” phase came to an end.

It was neck and neck with J and I. The one who hasn’t been in the country for 10 years or the one who has no skills and a crappy degree. I had been job searching since October and it only seemed fair to be rewarded first. But a few days ago she informed me that she had received two offers and would probably be taking the one with Swiss Chalet. Bonus I thought, free meals. But sucky too at the same time, I had been searching longer and wanted the offers first.

But at last I too have been given my two offers. I sit here, finally able to sit and focus thoughts into a blog after needing to go for a walk and settle down with a movie. Anyways, I sit pondering the best one to take.

A: Is a job close to home with a 37 week contract. But the pay sucks and it’s only a Job Creation Program with no benefits and no sign of renewal. Unless luck has it where the company hires me full time after the contract is up. The odds of that though are weak. This is a survery position which would lead me to the small world of land surveying or more time jumping from job to job, position to position.

B: Is a job not close to home with a 16 week contract. The pay is much better and is a job I’ve only wanted for the past 5 years. It’s a program put on by the government for youths to learn more about the environment and ways they can help preserve nature. I started my struggling career in this same program and I have been offered a position leading a group of teenagers around. The possibilities after the contract is done are endless in my mind. I’m not sure if I’ll be kept on and given more jobs but the experiences are greater and hopefully more leads will come about this job.

I think my bags are packed for Ottawa the 16 week job. We’ll see though, it all seems too surreal.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Ooh congrats!

3:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home