Thursday, April 27, 2006

a blurb of my almost exciting day in Hamilton

I left the house today and as I sit here in the food court of a dowtown Hamilton mall drinking my tea and waiting for the slightest bit of motivation to hit I have decided to write. I was reading my new book The Independent Woman’s Guide to Life and checking out mean when I realized I’d rather be writing about my findings then reading. This adventure is as good as it gets these days and I should write about it and read later.

So like I said, I’m in the downtown part of Hamilton. When you look out one set of doors you can see a very run down area, but on the other side of the mall you can see blocks and blocks of wealthy high rise buildings containing banking offices and the like. And the mall is a conglomerate of both types of people. It makes looking around hard. In one regard looking towards the less fortunate could lead to a communication of some sort; either a desire for my money or a desire for my company. But at the same time I don’t want to miss the opportunity to spot a hottie. I picked the food court and a no name coffee shop to avoid the Timmies line up and the crowded excuse they call their eating area. I’m much happier here and I should boycott timmies more often considering my dislike for the corporation and my past employment. I paid $1.35 for my medium tea but would have paid the same for any other size. Finally a coffee shop that makes sense and is expensive because they need the money rather then the need to rip people off.

The Dollarama just opened its doors meaning it’s either 9 am or 10. About the time I’d get up and begin to think about my ‘To Do’ list. I was wrong, It’s 9:30 but anyways I am assuming the library is open and I can leave the food court. I enjoy writing about the people here but the man who just grabbed the table beside me looks like he just work up and the people he was begging from the night before gave him too much booze. I don’t mean to sound rude but I gotta protect myself in the only way I know how: avoid the conflict by ignoring people.

… ...

I was in town because I was asked to complete a “Return to work Action Plan” from the hrdc office in town. This event happened after lunch when my sister was available to take me from the mall to the hrdc place. This was an event that almost brought me to use my aggressive argumentative side of me. As I got to the place, I was told that I needed to go to a different office and in order to get my action plan I needed to make an appointment. But because I am in town so infrequently I walked to one of the offices where I was supposed to go (but with an appointment) and prepared myself to be very aggressive in order to bypass this whole appointment system. I walked in and told them my situation. “I was asked to get a Return to work action plan and I was asked to get one ASAP for a possible interview.” After some resistance to say “fine” and walk out he said that he’d take me through the process over his lunch. What a great guy. It almost seems like my meeting with a HRDC employee was a waste of time because apparently I’m just having bad luck and bad timing with my offers. Anyways more about that meeting is sure to appear in a upcoming blog, I’m writing it in my head as I am writing this blog.

I managed to find my way to find my way to another mall where I walked around and realized I couldn’t afford to purchase anything let alone dream about the new fashions. I had lunch there and figured out the bussing system to get back to the other mall. I have noticed that Hamilton is a very diverse city filled with the fortunate (who weren’t on the bus with me) and the less fortunate who were. The hour bus ride was along Main/King line and drove past many run down buildings and homes while in the background and larger and wealthier buildings were spotted.

The big cities are so much different then in the country and I gain a new appreciation for my location with most trips.

1 Comments:

Blogger ~ martha ~ said...

that's weird.

9:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home