Monday, May 01, 2006

The Dating Resume

Here is another blog inspired by The Independent Woman’s Guide to Life. It’s great having something to go to for inspiration again. This time I was reading the book on my back porch. I thought that maybe the title of the book would lead people, especially attractive attainable men to the notion that I may be reading a self-help/psychology type book preparing myself for a lifetime of Independence. I’m not. This book is about a girl and her adventures post university: the dating and the jobs.

Gina, the main character is interested in a man and has begun spending time with him. She calls it her interview period and even suggests that resumes should be exchanged. Of course she didn’t tell Paul, her interest, but she merely imagined the ease that it’d bring to dating. And so I began thinking about the idea of my dating resume. And what/who I would include in it. I don’t put my painting experience on my resume and so I wouldn’t include the meaningless and time filling dates and crushes. But then, what counts as meaningless? I’m sure that every relationship has made me grow so then do they all qualify for a place?

I’ve probably learned something from all/most of my dates so then do I put the good/progress experience like Mike, Matt and Gaven or do I put stuff on there that implies I’m still confused and rather then learning, I’ve declined and still wondering why not like Tyler or Mark. And then if your presently interested in someone do you admit it or do you leave it off, like the part-part-time turkey car giver that only you and a few close friends know you have.

Do you indicate all your experience or just relating to what you are looking for? Like if you want a long lasting companionship do you only put your serious ones on there or if you only want a fling do you include your single dates? And then what if mid-fling you decide that you’re interested in a little more. Do you change your resume and resubmit it or do you use your work experience to build this from a part time fling to a career?

See, this is why I’m single. I spend too much time in contemplation about the small insignificant details and don’t just let things happen. I have too many part time flings on my resume, which shows I have minimal experience for the long haul. However sometimes it’s not the men who are turning away the long haul and it’s my lack of motivation pulling at the plug.

I’m in resume and cover letter writing mode so I may just write one for the heck of it. Maybe I’ll post it, maybe not.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

OOh that would be fun, a dating resume!

It's an interesting thought. You know how you have different resumes for different jobs? I imagine the same would go the dating world. If you want a relationship, you'd fill the resume up with how you're dependable for the long haul, etc. But you already said all this!

I think all the "meaningless" crushes are important. You've learned from them and they made you who you are today! Maybe I should read this book.

4:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home