Thursday, June 15, 2006

Another first day

Questions of inadequacy and competence overcome me as I talk with my boss and meet the people in the office. I’m supposed to be the Team Leader but yet I still continue to hind behind my shyness. I know nothing about anything and I fear the hatred that the Rangers may possibly feel towards me. And I know that’s worst case scenario, no one that I know of really hates me, per se.

But work was great, the people I’m working with seem nice and it seems like I’ll get along with everyone. My boss and I had a few good talks and we are both easy to talk to so that seems great and reassuring. He stressed though that he’s a bit anal about productivity and about the papers being stapled very neatly together (seriously, that’s one of his pet peeves.) I know I’ll annoy him with some things, he seems like he may be easily annoyable. It’s not that I’m a bad worker, but I feel I’m the type of person who needs more guidance and direction then I should in my position. I’m the leader remember, I’m supposed to lead.

I also have concerns about my driving ability. Although after buying a car and driving on the 401/403/QEW and driving up to Ottawa I feel I’m not a bad driver and every start of the car is better then the one before. But, as my boss and I are about to leave for a meeting at another office he points towards the car I will be responsible for driving the kids around in. Originally I was going to be driving around a four-door dodge pick up truck. I’m fine with trucks, I learned how to drive on a truck and I was hoping my need for a truck would be compensated with the company vehicle and I could mentally justify buying a car. I love my car though, but I wasn’t prepared for the vehicle I am assigned to. I get a larger vehicle because driving my four rangers around in a truck may be too cramped and so I get to drive around a three year old no longer used cop car.

Lets talk about that. A cop car. A boat just like my moms Lumina that I never succeeded driving. And do you know how fast those things can go? Very, I’m assuming, so if I’m not careful (knowing how heavy my foot is normally) I’m going to be in big trouble. And it’s a boat; a big car that I’m not going to be able to park, back up, or change lanes successfully. The car would be cool, I mean, it’s gotta be comfortable, those police seem to sit in there car a lot so why wouldn’t Crown Royal make that line with nice seats. But in regards to the other benefits, the speed counter thingy, the cage, the criminal locks, they are all gone. I was looking forward to using those.

I know what you’re thinking though. It was my first day and I need to relax and it will all be fine, but I’m a notorious for bracing for the worst-case scenario. It’s all better if you expect the worst, the worst never happens. I’m excited for this job, it sounds great. May more stories to come and many reports that I will be writing will be posted.

Yeah for working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home