Wednesday, March 08, 2006

searching for gold and the pain to accompany it

It’s like finding gold or putting 20 years on your age. My brother Randy is doing renovations and has demolished the whole 2 flotor of his house. For the past two days my sister, Joanne, and I have been there since 7:30am to about 9 pm. The first day we cleaned out the wood that was in the room and then torn up the floor boards. After all the floor boards were taken out we had to level the floor by placing thin slips of wood on the beams. The house is so old that its either poor construction or it’s age. The next day was much of the same thing, levelling the floor and actually placing some plywood down. After levelling half of the floor we brought up some of the plywood, measured it and screwed it down. Randy and Joanne did the measuring, the chalk lining and the cutting. And guess what… I did the screwing. I wasn’t as good at first, I kept grinding the nail heads but then I got better at. It happens after doing it that many times. Anyways J the drill was very heavy and I did a lot of work on my knees. My body is very sore because of the effort I needed for the drill and from the previous day. This morning I have encountered a great number of things I can’t do without feeling pain. They include doing the morning stretch, walking, pouring hot water, drinking tea, sitting, resting my knees anywhere, typing and finally breathing. Last night I also discovered that I cannot climb on the counters like I used to, to find items in the higher shelves of the kitchen. This process requires a lot of pulling yourself up with the right hand placement and kneeing on a small rough service. But Randy’s house is starting to look like it has potential rather then something someone set on fire. It will be very nice, he’s putting three rooms upstairs plus a bathroom.

There has been some neat findings though while pulling up the floor board. First I found a newspaper from 1958, then a some school papers like a Arithmetic test and music notes with a Max Ferginson’s name on it (which I still want to look up but just haven’t yet) and then we found a note from the Department of Biology from what is know called the University of Western but wasn’t on the note. This note was an interesting find because it was dating 1906. Joanne wants to give it to the museum creator but I could care less about that lady and would rather frame it. Randy’s step daughter took it to school though so it might be in her hands too long to do anything with it. It’s like digging for gold working up there with no floor boards, can anything beat the 1906 note? There was some jot notes found about the Boston Tea party but it’s not dated and could be for a school assignment anywhere between 1906 and 1958.

Well the hour I have allotted to blogging today is up. Stay tune for blogs about my niece, my interview and my week (or maybe more) in Aylmer.

Martha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home