Friday, March 03, 2006

Finally it's friday

He said that his condition was getting worse but there was no timeline set. Meaning, I haven’t heard of a timeline set but eventually the cancer will overtake his life. Mike’s dad has had cancer for the past few years and even though it has been in remission for a while his condition is getting worse. As I talked to Mike today about it I noted that his dad seemed like he was in good physical condition, to which Mike replied, “well you haven’t seen him in a few months.” That’s right, I haven’t seen Mr. Gabert since October and it pains me to think that he has gotten so much worse within such a short time. I know I’m too sensitive about life and issues such as cancer but I’m sad for the family and I’m sad about loosing his stories. I should be cold about it, I shouldn’t care as much as I do but unfortunately I can’t be cold, it’s just not me, and my heart will always be immersed in subjects such as lost ones and relationships.

During a weekend in the summer Mike and I were spending a weekend in Waterloo. We arrived on Saturday and spent the day at his parents place. As the four of us sat on the deck, Mr. Gabert was telling me stories about the birds around the property. There had been a constant chirping and Mr. G had explained where the birds were, one was behind the barn, one was around the garden and another was under the deck but he hadn’t been able to see where the little bird was. So I listened as he talked, he talked a lot, Mike’s theory is that the cancer had such a toll on his brain that he needed to talk and be the centre of attention, he was always right and no one else could have imput. We got a long well, the parents and I. Mr. G talked, Mrs. G would stand there looking at me shaking her head as to say “I’m sick of his bull shit, why does he keep talking.” And I would sit/stand listening to Mr. G (not having a reason to say anything and I was perfectly happy with that) while giving the “I agree, I’m not really taking in what he is saying but merely humouring him” smile towards Mrs. G. Therefore I pleased them both while Mike was often in the other room watching sports on TV. So anyways about the weekend, eventually Mike and I went back to my place in waterloo for the night to go back to his parents again for the next day. Mrs. G was having a big German party and as the family we were supposed to be there. So as Mike and I were outside chatting with Sonya (Mikes sister) and Steve (her husband) Mr. G pulls me away and brings me under the porch where he points to a baby bird and says “look, I’ve found him but he’s dead.” I thought he was going to cry, or at least sniffle. It was a cute moment. Well I don’t mean to share stories as though Mr. Gabert is already gone but I just thought I’d share my favourite moment of him. Maybe in a future blog I’ll ramble on about Mike’s mom, she’s a unique lady as well.

So I was a little disappointed with The Office last night. I mean it started quite funny with a football being tossed around and then a hilarious tackle of Dwight knocking Ryan face first into the ground but this wedding planning at work and Jim being depressed kinda sucks. I mean, it’s entertaining but where is the comedy in planning a wedding. I am bitter, probably, I feel for you Jim, and PS I’m crushing on you too. I did like the speech and the way Dwight pounded his hands, very rhythmic. Although Michael was a jerk to leave during Dwight’s speech, but I guess that’s his character right, no one can take the attention away from him without needing to take it back. Another point about the office is why is Ryan’s character so important. He’s cute and humorous when he gets a line in, but out of the 20 people that work at Dunder Mifflin, he’s only the tempt. You know what I mean right. Why is he on the cover of the box set and has his name displayed at the beginning of every episode when he has less lines then other people who aren’t acknowledged. I think the main reason is that Ryan (BJ Novak) is actually a writer for the show and because is part of the office setting he gets mention. Even though I’m slightly disappointed with last nights airing I’ll still watch it. It’s one of the funniest shows I’ve seen lately.
Well I could go on for a lot longer about the birds and the bees and the job search and the boys and the toys but I’ll stop and leave something to write about next time. Thanks for reading and I hope my blog is entertaining.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Hey, I'm just impressed that you can still talk to Mike. I've never been in a situation where you knew someone was going to die, it's always been a shock to me. I don't know which one is worse. To know and be able to say goodbye, or to just have it happen?

2:03 p.m.  
Blogger ~ martha ~ said...

Ya well i'm trying to be there for him because i know i'd want someone to be there for me. But Mike is a guy and even though he's dealing with this he doesn't seem to be emotional about it at all. I think it's possible that mike is either in denial about the outcome or feels that death is one way to ease his dad's pain and his families pain. I think I'm just sensitive to the issue of death.

2:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home