Friday, September 01, 2006

unproductive day

I’ve done all I can do with work today and blogging seems like the last thing left to do here at work in order to keep me here for as close to the 8 hours as possible. Because my job duties are actually done, I’m just in the office to work off my 12 week contract. I finished the report and now I rely on emails from my boss to occupy my time.

I find this computer stuff boring. Maybe if it was my job and I knew what to do when I wasn’t given any work to do, it might be different. But how does my boss figure that editing a small thank you letter will take up 8 hours of my day. I do have enough banked hours that I didn’t even need to come in today, but I’m here now and may as well look productive.

I’m not productive though. I’ve done a few things today but my mind is elsewhere and it’s hard to focus. I’m smitten. And it’s not a healthy smitten either so I won’t bore you with the details. But these things happen. I guess when I was working with my kids and it was raining, we’d do a job inside and we’d call it a “Rain Day”. Mentally this is a rain day and I may have to deal with the fact that I have nothing to show for productivity.

Speaking of my kids, I may or may not miss them. As I dropped them off after the summer end party last Friday, I thought to myself that it was a sad day and I will probably never see them again. I remembered a lot of fun conversations, their youthfulness, and their friendships I formed with them. But after a week has past, I have realized that I’m not entirely sure my missing them is permanent. They were lazy workers who gave me a bad name. As I talk with my boss about them, every word out of our mouths is negative. So I’ve decided that no, I don’t miss them anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home