Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Why i hate semi-trucks

I stood by the 401 looking into the ditch at my car. Only two months ago I started driving it and since then I’ve had a few too many close calls. But this time there was nothing that I could have done or should have done differently. Maybe I could have slowed down, or paid more attention. But I wasn’t at fault.

Thinking about the what if’s now is all that can be done. What if it did actually roll like I felt it would? What if I was going faster and the impact of the ditch did damage? What if I couldn’t drive it anymore and I still have 18 months of payments? What if I was hurt or worse, taken? But nothing, I’m fine, and so is the car.

I’ve realized that God is truly in control. What I grew up learning I thought was just motivational talk, and that I have some say in what happens in life. I prayed hard for good grades and he didn’t really seem to come through. He’s granted what I’ve needed though and that’s all I really ever wanted. But then you come close to the end and you know that it wasn’t your time, and you have no control of when your time is or how you’re going to go. I wasn’t close to it, but I’ve realized I could have been.

What happened, written the night of my incident, after we’d arrived at my sister’s place.
“It was misty outside and the 401 was wet. I was driving in the middle lane when out of the blue the semi truck to the right pulled into my lane. I moved to the left, naturally, to see a car in my blind spot blocking my accident free escape from the jackass who was now in front of me. I swerved to my right and began to fishtail. I didn’t know what to do and it all happened so fast. Before I knew it I was in the ditch sliding along the grass counting the seconds till the car flipped. I said to myself that this was going to hurt. The car lifted on its two wheels and I told myself that this isn’t going to be fun. I told myself to relax and just breathe. And then, the car stopped perpendicular to the expressway on all four wheels. I wanted to put in reverse, but that wasn’t possible. My sister got out of the car and called 911. I got out and thought, holy fuck my car is in the ditch and I’m going to need a tow.”

A guy stopped to see if I was okay, later the ambulance and fire truck came but I had no need for them and they left. The police officer came eventually and the tow pulled me out and changed my tire. After all was said and done I handed my sister the keys to the car and we were off.

To make a long story short, I’m fine, suffered some whiplash for a few days but that’s it. My car is fine. There is a bit of cosmetic damage and it needed a new back tire, but it runs almost as well as it did before.

Last Comic Standing is almost on, so ya, that’s it, I just wanted to tell you all about my adventures. I’m fine and doing well. Thanks for reading.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

God, that must have been scary!

10:28 a.m.  
Blogger GALA said...

HI Martha- I'm glad you're OK. I just wrote up my own thoughts about religion that you may appreciate on my blog. Then again, maybe not... you be the judge.

2:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home