Friday, January 20, 2006

i don't want a pink and red teddy...

The thing about Valentines Day is that I’m single. I don’t think I’d hate it as much if I wasn’t or if I’ve had good previous V-day experiences. As a kid in grade school I always felt that I didn’t get as many cards as the other kids, but that may just be a self-esteem thing. No one means anything they say on the cards and everyone is given a class list to make sure they didn’t forget anyone in the class. The age when Valentines Day means something to people is in high school and everyone knows I was single all throughout with one exception. His name is Dustin and is my favourite New Years Eve story and my favourite first kiss story. Well, everyone only has one first kiss story but not everyone’s is as good as mine. The hook up between Dustin and I happened in January and as a hormone driven teenager I began to think of Valentines day and how great it’d be to be with someone on that once wretched day. I had the idea of a mixed tape, I know it’s dorky but I thought it was a good idea to record some of the songs we danced to, songs like the Jeff Healy Band’s Angel Eyes and the Rose by Bette Middler. But we ended before I even recorded the tape. The next few years went on with no lover on that day. The thing is that I am aware that this day is a marketing campaign to bring people into the stores however, it has become to much that it is a day were you don’t fit into society if you are single (it seems). The stores become littered with red and pink teddies, hearts, chocolates and everything else symbolizing ones great love for another. Last year I was not single and was excited to partake in this day. My gift for Mike was very heartfelt containing chocolates, cinnamon hearts, a mixed cd, and some other edibles. I worked hard on it for a great length of time and spent a little more money then I should have. On our little gift exchange day he presented me with a small box, I was a little nervous but opened it to see a silver watch ticking back at me. Well I have babbling a great length and avoided the reason why I don’t like v-day. The thing is, even though you can get anything under the sun in the form of a Valentines Day gift, it’s not the gift but rather the thought. Even if you love me on that day don’t buy me a pink teddy stating that you love me but rather, show me. Show me that you love me and do something nice. The day of pink and red has become too materialistic and has become the day to make up for the lost days that you should have cared more. Am I making sense? If not, future mates of mine, take from this that I would rather have a brown teddy with no hearts on it and if you feel like it a dozen red roses and if you feel more comfortable you can present them to me on any day between February 13th to July 12th.

I know that I am not alone in my dislike for Valentines Day, but even if I was I’d still hate it.

Martha

PS. The watch never worked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home